With differentiated passages and small group lessons, these reading strategy groups can replace your guided reading groups! You no longer need to look for reading passages or think of reading comprehension questions for your small groups. This bundle has 101 print-and-go small group lessons for teaching reading comprehension using skill-based, small group reading lessons that DIRECTLY teach the reading skills your students need!
With this bundle, planning your reading groups has never been easier. You get lessons directly targeting 101 reading skills so that you can spend more time teaching small groups, and less time planning for guided reading. Since each small group lesson includes differentiated passages and skill-based lessons, you do not need to gather books or extra materials for these reading groups.
EVERY SKILL-BASED, SMALL GROUP READING LESSON INCLUDES:
- Quick tasks that introduce the reading skill of the focus lesson.
- Differentiated passages (three levels) that include the direct, skill-based prompts needed to fully practice the reading skill of the focus lesson. The focus of every lesson can be applied using the included reading passages. This saves you TIME because you no longer need to search for suitable texts or passages.
- At the end of the small group time, send your students off with an exit slip for accountability practice. They will use this exit slip when they apply the skills from the small group reading lesson to their own independent reading.
- Also includes… Printable anchor charts for every lesson (just print-and-go), conferring note pages, and lesson planning pages are all included.
Everything in here is ready to go for your reading groups. All you need to do choose which students would benefit from any of the 101 print-and-go scripted reading lessons included.
If you have skilled reading volunteers or aides in your classroom, they can easily run these reading groups while you are working with other students.
WHAT SMALL GROUP LESSONS ARE INCLUDED?
The 101 small group lessons are organized into these categories (note: you can go in ANY order!)
- Unit 1: Reading Foundation(5 reading group lessons)
- Unit 2: Understanding Characters (16 reading group lessons)
- Unit 3: Text Features and Text Structure (17 reading group lessons)
- Unit 4: Vocabulary and Figurative Language(9 reading group lessons)
- Unit 5: Main Idea and Key Details(17 reading group lessons)
- Unit 6: Fluency (10 reading group lessons)
- Unit 7: Theme (9 reading group lessons)
- Unit 8: Author’s Purpose (6 reading group lessons)
- Unit 9: Story Elements and Summarizing (14 reading group lessons)
WANT TO TRY A ★FREE★ SAMPLE READING GROUP LESSON?
LOOKING FOR A SMALLER BUNDLE?
ARE READING STRATEGY GROUPS DIFFERENT FROM GUIDED READING GROUPS?
Yes. Reading strategy groups rely on directly teaching your students a reading strategy or skill. This type of reading group is not strictly confined to the student’s reading level like it can be with guided reading. Strategy groups should be flexible so that we can get far, far away from kids who identify as a level, such as “I’m in the purple reading group” or “I am supposed to read level M books.”
Reading strategy groups rely on you knowing what your individual students need to work on. Do you have a few students who read like robots? Let’s work on it together in reading groups. Do you have a group of students who struggle identifying the main idea of a text? Let’s work on it in reading groups. Do you have students who are ready to start describing theme? Let’s work on it in reading groups.
WHAT GRADE LEVEL ARE THESE SMALL GROUPS FOR?
The content is most appropriate for grades 2-4. However, you may have students in other grade levels that need lessons in this area. In the preview, you can see exactly which lessons are recommended for grade 2, grade 3, and grade 4.
All of the differentiated passages come in these three levels:
- LEVEL 1 reading passages (denoted in the lower right hand corner of the passage with ❍) are recommended for students meeting a 2nd grade reading level. The Lexile range is 400-500L.
- LEVEL 2 reading passages (denoted with ❍ ❍) are recommended for students meeting a 3rd grade reading level. The Lexile range is 500-700L.
- LEVEL 3 reading passages (denoted with ❍ ❍ ❍) are recommended for students meeting a 4th grade reading level. The Lexile range is 800-1000L.
The variety of reading levels in the differentiated passages makes it so easy to meet your range of learners. If you teach 2nd, 3rd, or 4th grade, you have passages for all students who meet grade level. But then if you have students reading above or below grade level, you have passages that can meet them where you are. No more searching for texts that match your lessons AND have passages at the right level. Everything is already done for you!
DOES THIS DOWNLOAD INCLUDE A OPTION? Yes! In addition to the traditional printable pack included, the small group lessons in this download can also be assigned via Google slides or Google Classroom, which makes it very versatile for digital distance learning.
DOES THIS WORK WITH JENNIFER SERRAVALLO’S READING STRATEGIES?
Yes! If you are a fan of the reading strategies written by Jennifer Serravallo, then these small group lessons will be a perfect compliment. The strategies in this bundle work seamlessly with the strategies that Jennifer Serravallo suggests in her (AMAZING) Reading Strategies Book.
Check out this small group free sample to see if this will work for you!
– Alyssha Swanson