Improve fluency with reading groups! With direct, scripted lessons, these small groups focused on fluency will target reading skills that can immediately help your students. You get 10 print-and-go small group lessons (including differentiated passages) that focus directly on improving fluency.
The small group lessons walk your students step-by-step through fluency skills such as:
-Correctly reading end of sentence punctuation
-Correctly reading mid sentence punctuation (commas)
-Grouping words into chunks
-Correctly reading dialogue
-Following the author’s clues (i.e. “It’s time for reading groups,” whispered Ms. Smith)
-Match your voice to the mood or tone of the text
ARE READING STRATEGY GROUPS DIFFERENT FROM GUIDED READING GROUPS?
Yes. Reading strategy groups rely on directly teaching your students a reading strategy or skill. This type of reading group is not strictly confined to the student’s reading level like it can be with guided reading. Strategy groups should be flexible so that we can get far, far away from kids who identify as a level, such as “I’m in the purple reading group” or “I am supposed to read level M books.”
Reading strategy groups rely on you knowing what your individual students need to work on.
- Do you have a few students who need refer to partner feedback on their fluency? Let’s work on it together in reading groups.
- Do you have a group of students who need to group their words into chunks? Let’s work on it in reading groups.
- Do you have students who need to match their voices to the character’s feelings? Let’s work on it in reading groups.
EVERY FLUENCY LESSON INCLUDES:
- Quick tasks that introduce the ONE focused reading strategy or skill of the lesson.
- Differentiated passages (three levels) that include the direct, skill-based prompts needed to fully practice the reading strategy. The focus of every lesson can be applied using the included reading passages. This saves you TIME because you no longer need to search for suitable texts or passages.
- At the end of the small group time, send your students off with an exit slip for accountability practice. They will use this exit slip when they apply the skills from the small group reading lesson to their own independent reading.
- Also includes… Printable anchor charts for every lesson, conferring note pages, and lesson planning pages are all included.
Everything in here is ready to go for your reading groups. All you need to do choose which students would benefit from any of the 10 print-and-go reading group lessons included.
WHAT 10 FLUENCY LESSONS ARE INCLUDED?
- Read Aloud Like A Teacher (Non-fiction)
- Pay Attention To Punctuation: End Of Sentence (Non-fiction)
- Pay Attention To Punctuation: Middle Of The Sentence (Non-fiction)
- Group Your Words Into Chunks (Non-fiction)
- Partner Feedback: Non-fiction
- Reading Dialogue (Fiction)
- Match Your Voice To The Character’s Feelings (Fiction)
- Match Your Voice To The Mood Or Tone (Fiction)
- Follow The Author’s Clues (Fiction)
- Partner Feedback: Fiction
(Note: You can go in ANY order and skip any lessons that your students do not need.)
WANT TO TRY A ★FREE★ SAMPLE READING GROUP LESSON?
LOOKING FOR A READING STRATEGY GROUP BUNDLE?
WHAT GRADE LEVEL ARE THESE THEME LESSONS FOR?
The content is most appropriate for grades 2-4. However, you may have students in other grade levels that need lessons in this area. In the preview, you can see exactly which lessons are recommended for grade 2, 3, and 4.
The differentiated passages come in three levels:
- LEVEL 1 reading passages (denoted with ❍) are recommended for students meeting a 2nd grade reading level. The Lexile range is 400-500L.
- LEVEL 2 reading passages (denoted with ❍ ❍) are recommended for students meeting a 3rd grade reading level. The Lexile range is 500-700L.
- LEVEL 3 reading passages (denoted with ❍ ❍ ❍) are recommended for students meeting a 4th grade reading level. The Lexile range is 800-1000L.
The variety of reading levels in the differentiated passages makes it so easy to meet your range of learners. If you teach 2nd, 3rd, or 4th grade, you have passages for all students who meet grade level. But then if you have students reading above or below grade level, you have passages that can meet them where you are. No more searching for texts that match your lessons AND have passages at the right level. Everything is already done for you!
DOES THIS DOWNLOAD INCLUDE A OPTION? Yes! In addition to the traditional printable pack included, the small group lessons in this download can also be assigned via Google slides or Google Classroom, which makes it very versatile for digital distance learning.
WANT MORE SMALL GROUP READING LESSONS LIKE THIS?
I have more than 100 small group reading lessons written for teachers like you who want to save TIME with direct, skill-based instruction using reading strategy groups.
AVAILABLE IN READING STRATEGY GROUP BUNDLES!
WANT MORE LESSONS TO MATCH THESE READING GROUPS?
I have reading lessons for teaching these lessons to your WHOLE CLASS! For every reading strategy group lesson, there is an optional WHOLE CLASS Interactive Read Aloud lesson found here:
For a quick DAILY READING BELL RINGER that spiral reviews the skills from your reading strategy groups, here are reading warm ups that PERFECTLY align with these reading strategy groups:
Check out this small group free sample to see if this will work for you!
– Alyssha Swanson